Friday, March 12, 2010

Etiquette.

I was remembering back to about a week after we got engaged, Zac and I walked in the door after church and my parents had some friends over. Dad and Mum explained that we had just got engaged and Donna said, "Congratulations" to Zac and "Felicitations" to me.

I thought that was pretty cool and she explained that traditional etiquette was to say 'felicitations' to the lady because you wanted to celebrate her happiness, rather than congratulate her on her 'achievement' of advancing up the social and economic ladder.

I had heard of some etiquette do and don't requirements before, but this one was new to me.

1 comment:

  1. I remember hearing this somewhere as well! And now whenever people say Congratulations to me I always think of it.. funny

    I actually love reading ettiqute books, I bought the Emily Post one and I learnt a fair bit

    ReplyDelete